Here ye! Here ye! I am finally taking a step in the right direction and am going to keep track of my book spending. This isn’t a book buying ban at all! I’m just trying to be more conscious about the amount of money I spend while I have an astronomical TBR. If I’m being honest, it’s almost embarrassing how many books I have that I need to read.
In the first half of 2015, I made the choice to not request or accept review copies. I’ve not let up on that and in the meantime have read a lot from my TBR and have also read a lot of amazing books. This made me realize that I didn’t have to buy books constantly to enjoy reading. Somehow, since living on my own and having a big girl job, buying books and enjoying a good book have become synonymous. I started to use the library in an attempt to stem the flow. It helped but it’s still not quite the same.
I’ll be starting this with my July 2015 purchases. As of writing this I am already slightly over budget. It isn’t too bad and the spending is still WAY down and I’ve even read some of the books that I’ve purchased. In my opinion, it’s a pretty good place to start.
In order to stick to this, I’m going to have to have some rules!
- $25.00 in new books per month. I’m not going to limit the number of books I can purchase but rather how much I’m spending. This equals out to be $150.00 for the rest of the year.
- Roll over. Any money not spent in the current month will roll over to the beginning of the next month. I will not be bringing the balance to $0.00 even if I overspend. I want to condition myself to have better spending habits, not beat myself up over this.
- Read what I want. I’m still going to abide by this but attempt to read on a budget. I have plenty to choose from in Mt. Read Me.
- Don’t buy everything! Seriously, just because it’s $1.99 doesn’t mean you have to buy it Stephanie! Past Stephanie outsmarted future Stephanie by unlinking the credit card from her Amazon account. 😉 I plan on controlling myself with gift cards until those better habits develop.
- Try to read 3 books from the TBR each month. I have SO many good books waiting for me in there! SO MANY!