It’s important that if you are re-reading this series that you answer the questions based only on the knowledge that we have so far!
1. Harry finds the secret of Tom Riddle’s diary and discovers that Hagrid had a secret pet (read monster). Did you believe Tom? Did you think Hagrid could have brought something that dangerous into Hogwarts?
I really didn’t want to but I know Hagrid’s love of all things other people would find unlovable and while I could logically play it out in my head, I did not want Hagrid to be guilty.
2. Hermione has been petrified. Did you ever lose faith in Ron and Harry’s ability to save her?
I was pretty distraught when Hermione was petrified. Really though I think this is when I started recognizing JK Rowling’s brilliance. I mean, it would have been too perfect for Hermione to not have been petrified. Rowling was being an equal opportunity Muggle striker. 🙂
3. We see that Lord Voldemort is starting to get more aggressive with his attempts to return to power in the second installment of the Harry Potter series. How surprised were you that his accomplice this time was none other than Ginny Weasley? (Granted it was an unwitting accomplice.)
I was stunned when I found out that Ginny had been involved in any manner. She is such a shy girl (from Harry’s perspective) and we’ve not met a stray Weasley yet. My heart also broke for her a little bit because had I been Ginny, it would have been a guilt that I wouldn’t be able to shake. Thank goodness no one was killed! That would be a horrible think to live with.
4. Dobby is granted his freedom at long last. What did you think of Dobby when it was all said and done?
I know this is going to come out so weird but I really considered Dobby kind of like a pet dog. He showed so much unwavering loyalty that and didn’t think about himself in any of his actions. For Dobby to finally achieve freedom (and from the Malfoys!) was about the sweetest most appropriate reward I could think of!
5. What are your overall thoughts of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets?
I thought that this was another outstanding chapter in the Harry Potter series. JK Rowling brought us back to Hogwarts, didn’t add too many new elements but was able to turn out another fantastic tale nonetheless. Harry learns a lot in this year and I like that he and Ron were forced to try and think for themselves rather than rely on Hermione’s wit. I’m looking forward to reading the next book with you guys! 🙂