Welcome to the 1st week of the Harry Potter Read Along! This is going to be a long journey but I think we can all agree that it will be a great one. Here are my answers for Week 1.
It’s important that if you are re-reading this series that you answer the questions based only on the knowledge that we have so far!
1. At the beginning of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone Dumbledore makes the decision to leave Harry in the care of his aunt and uncle. We see the results of that decision when Ron and Harry have a run in with Draco on the Hogwart’s Express. Do you agree with Dumbledore’s decision or do you feel Harry should have been brought up among his own people?
I think that Dumbledore did make the right decision. I don’t think that anyone could have guessed how truly horrible the Dursley’s would be to Harry. On top of that it would be really hard NOT to have an inflated opinion of yourself when the entire wizarding world thinks you ended Voldemort’s reign.
2. Hagrid comes to rescue Harry from the Dursley’s in a shack on a rock. If you were Harry would you have left with Hagrid?
To be honest, I don’t know that I would have. To say that I am generally a nervous person with underscores of mild paranoia is a bit of an understatement. I am incredibly cautious and trusting a stranger (even or perhaps especially one who looks like Hagrid) just isn’t in my nature. It’s why I read books! 😉
3. Harry has a lot of info to digest all at once. He finds out he’s a wizard, there’s a whole magical community, his parents were in fact murdered, and the same wizard you killed his parents attempted to kill him as well. How would you have reacted to all of this?
To be honest, I probably would have been pretty terrified. That is a lot to take in. I think that it would be harder knowing that someone took your family rather than it being an accident. Does that make sense? I think that I’d be pretty upset about the whole ordeal. Harry seems to be pretty chill with it all. Looking at what his life was though it’s not too hard to make the leap that this is the best thing to happen to Harry.
4. Hogwarts students are allowed an owl, a cat, or a toad. What animal would you choose and why?
This one is pretty easy for me. I’d go with an owl and not just because of their practicality. Toads creep me out as does most of the creepy, crawly category and I am severely allergic to cats. If I had a cat the poor thing would kill me in my sleep. As Hagrid points out, owls are dead useful and I would love to have my own personal letter carrier. 🙂
5. For the first time in his life, Harry has money and the chance to spend it however he wants. What would you have purchased at Diagon Alley?
Oh my goodness! To have the money that Harry does after being denied his whole life? I’d probably be buying the most beautiful quills and scrolls. Pretty inks would be at the top of my list. I love office supplies and writing stuff down. I can very easily see me spending quite a bit of money in the bookshop too! That was a given though.
Link up those HP thoughts!