It is time to discuss the ever popular Twilight!
Well this is certainly the story that started a phenomenon.
I’m just going to throw out some questions and my general thoughts and feel free to add your thoughts/opinions in the comments below. Even if you are not participating in the challenge but wish to say something about Twilight please feel free to join us.
1. For those of you who have read this book before, how did you rate the book this time vs when you first read it months/years ago for the first time?
2. For those of you who read it for the first time this year please share how you thought it was, did it live up to the hype?
3. Do you still love the characters, even though Edward and Bella were ruined in the movies? Many people say all Edward does is sparkle and that Bella is a whiny pathetic character, do you agree?
4. Vampires, can we still live with them?
5. Ultimately, was it worth reading/ would you recommend?
Here Are My Answers:
1. Since I have read the story before, way before the hype of it all I get to answer the first question! I rated this book just slightly lower than I would have back then. Back then it was this amazingly awesome fabulous story that I feel in love with. Back then it would have gotten a rating of 5/5. I felt just slightly different now. I did greatly enjoy the story and I can’t believe how much I remembered such as favorite quotes but there were also things I completely forgot about. I gave the book a rating of 4.5/5 this time around so I obviously still enjoyed it, which was surprising to me.
3. I still love the characters! I think that Edward and Bella were ruined by the movies and that they are so much deeper and much more complex than in the cheesy movies. I forgot why I had once fallen for Edward and reading Twilght made me remember! Edward is a really great character in the book because you can tell he cares about Bella and he thinks in such a fashion that is much more mature than most YA male leads. His thought patterns are intellectual and deep which can not be said for a lot of YA characters. Apart from Edward I did like Bella, she is smart in her own way and soemtimes people think she is annoying but I like her. She is simply trying to come to terms with vampires and everything changing. Of course the secondary characters are still just as great.
4. Vampires probably became overused due to this Twilight craze but hey people are still reading about them aren’t they!? I mean come on Julie Kawaga just came out with a vampire book! The writer that a lot of YA readers really love and they are willing to read about her vampires due to the popularity of her Iron Fey series. I still think vampires are making their way into the teen world, just maybe not to the extent that they once did.
5. Yes, re-reading this book was well worth it. While I have read Twilight probably 5 times over the years it had been about 2ish years since I last read it so it was great to come back for the re-read. Now I can’t wait to read the rest of the series to see how I feel about it because I know Breaking Dawn was a bit of a let down for me. I basically am excited about finding out how I feel about the rest of the three books in the series.
Now tell me how you feel!