Top Ten Tuesdays is a meme featured by the lovely ladies at The Broke and the Bookish. It is an opportunity to share our book interests with other book lovers…in top ten form! This week we have:
Top Ten Books I’d Recommend To Someone Who Doesn’t Read Romance
My favorite genre is historical romance, but truly I love any kind of romance. While I could easily make a list of my top ten historicals, I decided to include different genres because all romance readers like different things! This list could have been a lot longer, but I did stop at ten! 😀
1) Pieces of Sky by Kaki Warner – I feel this is the ultimate starter for people just diving into romance. It’s incredibly sweet and charming. It is wonderful story to show you the beauty of romance. Well written and delightful!
2) You Don’t Know Jack by Erin McCarthy – The ULTIMATE contemporary romance. Contemporary is not my fave, and I did read this one years ago, but I remember being completely enthralled with this novel. Jack was one of the sexiest heroes out there! I think someone in favor of starting with contemporary novels would be wise to start here.
3) The Iron Duke by Meljean Brook – One of the most unique novels I’ve had the pleasure of reading in the last few years. This would be great for a reader looking for that novel that is completely ‘out there!’ But I mean that in the absolute best way! Steampunk is very cool and appeals to many different readers! A great book and a very sexy read too!
4) A Rose In Winter by Kathleen Woodiwiss – You didn’t really think I could make a list without including one of the greats, did you? lol If you read romance, you should at least TRY a Woodiwiss novel. I absolutely 100% fell in love with the hero and heroine in this story. Some moments had me shaking my head in disbelief, but I didn’t really care…this novel was just awesome!
5) Untouched by Anna Campbell – So, I love the tortured hero. That’s no secret. This novel is just oozing with a tortured hero and I love it! While some people adore the rakes, others like me, adore the more sensitive and silent hero. I love historicals like this one with strong heroines and somewhat shy heroes. That kind of situation can be such a sweet yet emotional journey through their difficulties in love but ultimately finding their happily ever after. I think this would be a great intro into the different types of heroes in histroical romance!
6) No Rest for the Wicked by Kresley Cole – No romance list for beginners would be complete without a great paranormal. So why not start with the 1st novel in a great series?!? Hilarious, sexy and all around fantastic, if your looking for a little bit of creepy fun, this is where you’ll find it!
7) Dark Lover by J.R. Ward – Do I really need to comment on this series? lol I think everyone and their uncle has heard about it. Again, great paranormal series that’s a giant step into the dark side. Very serious, but hella good. You won’t be sorry you took a chance on this series…romance fan or not.
8) Last To Die by Kate Brady – Really, a great suspense novel might be the best way to get a ‘non-fan’ into the romance genre. If it’s done right, a romantic suspense can be the perfect novel that is not only sexy but entertaining as well. You have the drama, the mystery and the sex appeal! lol This one had all that. Just enough romance and plenty of intrigue to make it a suspenseful read!
9) The Rescue by Nicholas Sparks – While any Nicholas Sparks novel would work, I decided to go with one of my favorites. It would be perfect for the reader that loves plenty of angst and heart ache around a touching love story! This would be a great starter for someone that really has a negative perspective towards reading romance because really at the end of the day, Sparks simply writes a great novel.
10) Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen – Of course, I’ll end with the ultimate romance. If you want to try romance, start with the woman who perfected it. Her novels are still discussed and selling almost 200 years after it was first published, so you know you are going in the right direction! Very chaste, yet swoon-worthy, this novel will capture your heart.
So what novel would you put on the list? Disagree with any of my selections? I’d love to hear your thoughts!